Early on, we thought the biggest issue would be communicating with Twitter's API. Luckily, we found an external Max object called Twitter4J that allowed us to easily create queries and pull tweets into Max. We searched for tweets sent to @THORtheBot, analysed the tweets through Max, performed basic sentiment analysis on them, and then triggered certain emotions through Arduino.
Unfortunately, we discovered that Twitter's API only allowed for a certain number of requests per minute, or else our traffic would get blocked. What this resulted in was a pretty slow time between someone tweeting and T.H.O.R. reacting.
Secondly, we wanted to have T.H.O.R. be wireless, but unfortunately, our research revealed that York University's WiFi is very problematic when it comes to authentication through WiFi shields and Arduino. If I'd known as much as I know now about XBees, I would have gone that route instead.
We had to build a small "cage" for T.H.O.R. so that he didn't get out of control. It was a square of wood about 3 feet on each side. Then we used a microphone stand and dangled the USB cable down into his enclosement. We had everything resting on a table, with the laptop acting as a small screen to display the latest tweet that T.H.O.R. was reacting to.